As a Business Litigation Attorney Firm, the Cochell Law Firm brings solutions to complex problems, at a fraction of the price. Regardless of size, virtually all companies are confronted with conflict, disputes or must retain counsel to defend against, or file lawsuits to protect their business.
Cochell Law Firm provides strategic advice and counseling to clients to prevent or resolve disputes while simultaneously anticipating the need for prosecuting or defending the client in potential litigation.
Because of his unique background as a federal prosecutor, in-house counsel and private practitioner, Steve Cochell has the ability and passion for solving business problems regardless of the size of your business or the magnitude of your problem. An experienced business litigation attorney, he can weight the risks and the costs associated with litigation.
If a problem cannot be resolved short of litigation, Steve’s past representations as a business litigation attorney include:
- Defense of apartment complex owners on alleged breach of contract (failure to pay mortgage) and foreclosure. Successful defense based on fraud by Finance Company resulting in settlement and complete elimination of interest, fees and penalties allowing owners to refinance apartment complex.
- Representation of owner of large portfolio of domain names with a value of $150 million in dispute with creditors placed in receivership, which was dismissed and later placed in involuntary bankruptcy, which was dismissed.
- Representation of owner of multiple companies worth $6 billion placed in receivership by the Securities & Exchange Commission.
- Serving as lead trial counsel for a financial services client in a multi-party ERISA action alleging fraud under § 419 of the Tax Code.
- Appeal of an arbitration award for a law firm resulting in a federal district judge vacating an arbitration award, which ended a hotly contested commercial case involving claims exceeding $8 million.
- Dismissal of an ERISA Plan on allegations of civil racketeering under the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (“RICO”) statute.
- Defense of Johnson Controls, Inc. in complex commercial case alleging fraud, breach of partnership agreement, breach of contract and misappropriation of proprietary information by former vendor seeking $21 million in damages, resulting in summary judgment for Johnson Controls on all claims except portion of breach of contract claims.
- Prosecution of action for medical waste/supply company against competitor for false advertising and unfair competition, resulting in favorable settlement after filing of summary judgment motion.
- Prosecution of trade secret action against Accu-Sort Systems, Inc. for theft and misappropriation of trade secrets and ownership of Mass Scanning and Dimensioning (“MSDS”) technology.
- Prosecution of an action for theft of trade secrets and breach of contract against Fritz Companies, Inc. Obtained injunctive relief in an action brought by FedEx seeking to enjoin a portion of the proposed merger between Fritz and UPS on the basis that it breached Fritz’s contract with FedEx and threatened misappropriation of FedEx’s trade secrets. Case preparation involved detailed operations analysis of customs clearance operations conducted on behalf of FedEx by Fritz and protracted hearings before Special Master.
- Numerous cases involving enforceability of non-compete provisions in employee contracts resulting in the imposition of injunctive relief on behalf of employers.
- Prosecution of unfair competition and trademark infringement claim for small medical device company resulting in stipulated injunction.
- Defense of small company accused of cybersquatting, resulting in summary judgment in favor of client.
- Defense of health care fraud, tax fraud and other complex civil and criminal matters.
- Defense of property foreclosure matters through work-out agreements
While many of the above examples of past representations involve millions, the Firm works closely with small, medium and Fortune 500 companies to avoid litigation.